Monday 23 July 2012

Back To Market Life

After 3 years in Bournemouth at university i finally made my way back to the capital last week to move back in with the family and start searching for the next step in my quest for success. First stop was to get back on the market stall to start earning some of those much needed pounds, so i thought I'd make a little post about the life of Deptford Market. It's been a while since i was working on the fruit and veg but i must say as always it's still the best job I've had up to this point. Although it's not as lively as it used to be the market still stands out as one of the most traditional, unique and diverse across London and it's character never fails to send shivers up my spine. From trainers to self help enlightenment books Deptford offers something for all shoppers and the charm offencive and wit of the market traders still continues to amuse and intrigue me. Working on the largest greengrocers stall in the market I'm forever amazed by the wide range of customers I find my myself serving. Whether it be members of the local church, students or even eccentric artists with 5 ready to sell canvas' tied to the back of their bike, you're never far from hearing a interesting story about someones day or the wild and wonderful goings on of the market itself. Deptford has received its fair share of bad press in the past but as somebody who's grown up around the market i will always champion it's appeal as it is still one of the most traditional and historic old London markets and when you hear some of the stories from the local community you can't deny the place has sure got some character. I'll post a few pics below that took early on this past Saturday on the high street. To visit the market, Wednesdays and Saturdays are the busiest and most interesting and it can be found via New Cross on the new overground line or national rail service or by reaching Deptford Bridge on the DLR service.











No comments:

Post a Comment