Monday 30 July 2012

The Big Question: Flyknit Vs Primeknit

I posted an article last week about the third release in Nike's Flyknit range at the 1948 London store and was asked afterwards by twitter's @itsRobCupper what I thought on how the new Adidas Primeknit compares and who I feel will come out on top in the new knitted upper battle.

In terms of the concept of the knitted upper running trainer I am, as posted before, a huge fan. The new innovative style to create the trainer purely as two pieces of manufacturing (the knitted upper and the molded sole) is both groundbreaking and a step forward economically. The new design of these trainers eliminates much of the manufacturing waste caused on the production line therefore helping improve both companies Eco friendly efforts.

As always in the development of sportswear there is a big emphasis placed on who came first with an idea. I cannot speak for either and have no knowledge of Nike's development time line however OregonLive quotes James Carnes, head of design for Adidas sport performance, as stating Adidas Primeknit had been 3 years in production, but in terms of developing the trainer for release Nike were first to the launch in February. This for me, no matter if Nike were producing the concept before or after Adidas, means they won the race to release and so in my own opinion,Nike came first in being able to provide the customer with their product.

This is by no means meant to take anything away from the Primeknit, I am a big fan of both designs and love how even with extremely similar concepts both have managed to convey their companies style, Nike's more streamline fluid approach and Adidas with their more robust yet flexible looking design offer something to all potential knitted customers and in my opinion both are great running trainers to have on the market. When asked on my personal preference I have to say I am a Nike man when it comes to sportswear (minus the 2004 Adidas Predator Pulse) and so for me the look of the Flyknit would win my vote. However, as stated before both have very cool, unique designs and there is nothing wrong with competition in the market so the choice is up to you.

I've posted a couple of pictures of both lines below to help you make your decision and also a quick article comparing the release of both designs so check it out.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/threads_and_laces/2012/07/its-a-seamless-revolution-adidas.html?page=all





No comments:

Post a Comment